Sunday, July 27, 2014

Tiong Bahru Hawker Centre

So today after church, I went with my parents to Tiong Bahru Hawker Centre for lunch.
We ordered Dry Mixed Beef Noodles from Joo Chiat Beef King, Egg Yolk Xiao Long Bao from Extreme Xiao Long Bao, Chee Kueh and Teh-C.

Mixed Beef Noodles, Dry ($4). The gravy of the beef noodles was nice but it could be better. Portion is enough for an average person. Soup was tasty. I like that there were meat balls, my favorite!

Xiao Long Bao, Egg Yolk. It's just normal xiao long bao with egg yolk, steamed buns with pork and egg yolk filling with some broth inside. I prefer the original one(without the egg yolk) as the egg yolk was not as watery as I had expected. It felt like I was eating steamed egg yolk. Not a good combination.

Chee Kueh ($1.50). First of all what is chee kueh? Well it's rice flour and water steamed in a small metal cup, topped with diced preserved radish. It's really nice. The topping is not too fine, just the right texture with bits of the radish to bite. The topping has a strong flavor which goes well with the plain kueh. The chilli is also really nice, spicy and has the dried prawn taste as well.

Teh-C ($1) To end off my meal, I had teh-c which is just tea with condensed milk and sugar. I saw that the shop had the condensed milk cans attached to strings and my mom told me that in the olden days they would used them to da pao(packet) drinks instead of plastic/Styrofoam cups. It looked really cool so I ordered one as take-away. Had to wait till it cooled down before I could drink it. 
Environment-wise: this is very good as you can recycle it and save some cost. 
Health-wise: not so good as this can metal might have harmful chemical or rust which can be very harmful.

On our way, we also bought some buns from Dough & Grains- A bakery that sells Traditional Chinese Medicine(TCM) bread. 

We bought the Wolfberry and Chrysanthemum bread. The wolfberry taste wasn't prominent while the chrysanthemum couldn't be detected. Texture-wise, the bread was really soft and fluffy! 

Had a great food day today!

Rate
Mixed Beef Noodles, Dry: 5/10 
Xiao Long Bao, Egg Yolk: 4.5/10 
Chee Kueh: 8.5/10 
Teh-C: 6/10 
Wolfberry and Chrysanthemum bread: 7.5/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment